Thursday, August 4, 2011

The Point of Trainwatching

The weather is beautiful, you have a nice seabreeze. 90º but it feels nice. You take a stroll on a bicycle (which later screwed the gears up due to a gutter strike @ Sunset Dr.) Your sources say nothing is coming; everything "Arrived" into Miami Terminal. Inching upward past a nice shadowy stop at AD Barnes Park and photographing a historic FEC wooden trestle (Still there today!) you finally inch in to Coral Way after noting THREE Voodoo sacrifices. (This sight was hard to look at)... No train yet, and a stroll to SW 21 ST. Time to decide, head back, blaze it to SW 70 AV, or have a Café Cubano at Rinconcito Latino? The second option almost won, and I made it to the east sidewalk, when I finally hear a K5LA. O721-04 was honking bravely through the neighborhoods of West Miami like God intended with the 6061 leading 4307, and 22 empty Yelvington cars, which would be to my knowledge later on. The honks get louder, and I get in position to get set for a hopeful 1.25 mile chase to SW 41 ST. I turn on my HD Camera, and it screams "NO CARD"... #$%#!!!! But my backup was ready to fire, a Cybershot Digital. I was expecting one AEX hopper followed by two to four Cement hoppers, but was spared when I found out it was an ordinary train. Nonetheless, the manual horses run, as few as 10 feet away from the train (Public Street), and I begin recording a little clip as I pass the Bus Terminal. The train picked up speed and I had no hope of speeding up, unfortunately. But I managed to complete the shot at Waterway Drive. While with the attest to the lack of an HD camera to film the chase I was duped a great deal, I was still enjoying it. The chase, the 20mph pace. It was a different feeling and an utter first to drag race an empty rock haul. And the road... all to myself. Welcome to Miami, railfans.

No comments:

Post a Comment