Saturday, January 14, 2012

Miami Sub Layout: Benchwork Part 1/ WIP

Benchwork is in progress! The first section is the adhesion of four studs to the NW board. This board will include Allsteel. One stud's in now.

'twas a good feeling too. The access to two powerful tools and a drill was what this entailed.

So if you remember the August 1 entry, it's all boards n' studs. I got one stud cut in 4 (24" lengths).

So the step was to cut that to 21" so the long 8' boards can fit in the edges. I think I made it about 20" seeing the end result, que es buen porque I'll be able to have the long board indented rather than at the edge.

I used a wonderful jigsaw to do it. Follow that by sanding and that trial-error job's all done.

The critical part was to put it. This was trial/error at its finest. I had a problem with the drill bit (which turned out too small) as it split up inside the upper board. I had to move the hole. This introduced the clamps.

The clamps held it until I applied wood glue, which was a pain in the butt to apply. I had to scrape almost-dried bits off the top with a pencil and apply those. I believe this stud will have been the least supported-by-glue stud as it was mostly scraping plus wet bits. But it stuck. As I quickly thought, I inverted it over so the stud can be held. To apply the screws, I re-inverted it then did so. This was frustrating. The bit was too thin, a screw got stuck, but for the most part it worked out, especially after I learned the proper lessons.

To achieve this, I used a standard drill bit about the width of the stem (increased from before) plus an angled bit to hold in the diagonals of the Wood Screw. This is a #12, at 1.5 inches.


With one out of four done, it cost me three hours, but always you will have a slow start to things. Now to work on sides 2, 3, and 4. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment