Thursday, January 19, 2012

Decisions, Decisions... Part 2

The next rock and a hard place are so: Wood versus Extruded Foam as a mounting surface.

As you know, one table has been completely built with the as-advertised plytanium plywood top and another is underway (on hold since it is usually too late for me to drill without a complaint next door).

I am such a cheap modeler at times and do run on a budget. My latest hobby trips haven't had me run more than 40 bucks compared to times that I have expended about 60-80. Extruded foam boards at 4'x8' at the Home Depot run about 15 dollars. Maybe it isn't that expensive, but it does take a bit off when you multiply the quantity.

South Florida is a flat space for the most part. Except for your bridge, the land is flat. THOUGH, there are reliefs in elevation. For instance, the CSX Miami Sub's roadbed is significantly on top of the immediate ground and more often than not features double drainage ditches next to either side, especially at Manatee and Parker.

So maybe the idea of budgeting more for Foam board isn't bad after all. I want my layout to be as realistic as possible, and I feel if I want to capture this change in elevation, I need the foam.

Famed modelers like Lance Mindheim have taken to using foam board. But one challenge is Home Depot doesn't have it where I live. Maybe I can buy it from Lowe's.

But that can also be made up with cork layers. But then again, that only raises the track. I want to see ditches like this (Manatee clip at about 07:00):



We'll wait and see what happens. I am already intending to buy legs for my two tables, and even so there is a custom LEGO order to take care of so money isn't as loose as it seems. But probably I will choose to go for the foam board itself, but time will tell and all is subject to change.

No comments:

Post a Comment