Monday, January 16, 2012

Benchwork Part 2 and Decisions, Decisions...

The first table is coming together, slowly by slowly. The second and one of the most difficult studs, the 8' long one, which was warped, was finally nailed down with the 1.5" wood screws. In my honest opinion I do not care if the studs are slightly warped longitudinally as the fact that they reinforce the lumber is preserved. As the third stud, a 2' long one, is being clamped/left overnight (damn noise ordinance), the table already appears flat. So when I wake up at 10 AM, I'll be doing the drilling when the noise is allowable.

But, reviewing the map and my fledgling skill in woodwork, I am truly dissatisfied with the recent render. The recent render has the form factor I like, though. It has the tracks spiraling around with a duckunder/inside area so I can work from there. Since I am 17 I think I can handle this. But the big problem is working with space in the Deerfield Beach area. This area is truly one that needs a 10' long segment in its maximum capacity to suit a crossover, Publix, and deep down, a fairly complete Deerfield Beach station. At this point, however, the canopy of the station will be designed to only require 3' of train. Add 1' for the #4 turnout, 3' for the straightaway, and 1' for the last #4 turnout to Publix, and you have 8'. Don't forget the crossover, which puts an extra 30" on the spot. Add the curve and you would already be working at 12' 5", a cap in my layout. What I do need is window access space so I guess it may be difficult to work it in otherwise, but it's tricky, tricky, tricky unless I do it right. Though, providing so many things are stored by the big window this section might work out after all. I do not plan to have any more than 24 \scriptstyle \sqrt {2}" deep which by theory of form any human above 4' can reach. So I'll try to negotiate this and work it out accordingly. However, the sections of Pompano Market can be split up, but the challenge is Home Depot, which spurs to the left. Tricky, tricky, tricky!

As a possible solution, Plan Option D, the most recent, may win over after all but with Sun Sentinel entirely modified to be switching from another turn.

So I guess the most interesting area of the route is the biggest challenger after all. The curve being next to Publix is the wisest move to do in the end due to the fact that Publix spurs to the east so it looks good. The changes would make the Cypress area more pushed to the right, linear, free of the unknown spur at 51 St, and with a beautiful Tri-Rail station to the left. Hmm. And so they say, decisions, decisions.

No comments:

Post a Comment