Friday, January 20, 2012

Benchwork Part 4 & Other Decisions

Today was a bit slower than I expected. I had run through my #12 screw supply which left me with the load of #8s that I bought from the Home Depot in August. Not realizing the difference, the drill bits had to be voided. Fortunately only two have to be refitted for the #8s which means I ran through the lot very efficiently, including screws that were done for essentially in earlier drillings. Surprisingly they were screwed in efficiently. The third and fourth studs of Table #2 have yet to be cut, sanded, and glued/drilled into place. Probably I'll get to those come Sunday.

My budget is very tight so I decided to hold off on purchasing the legs for now until the LEGO LUGBULK Order is cleared through. That is since the untold amount of dollars have to be fixed into that investment as I want to also establish a position in the LEGO hobby, be it a professional one.

I did some searching on foam board and found a 4'x8'x1" foam board from the Lowe's site.
DOW 1"x8'x4' Polyisocyanurate Sheathing
I did some research on MRRForums and they said the "blue, green, pink" extruded foam is good. Even so, I searched the word Polyisocyanurate and turned up a thread with an instant answer. I guess it's a good way to get the layout done in terrain. But then again, there are skeptics on that thread, but I guess I'll have the idea what to buy when I look at it over at Lowe's this weekend.

Remember that this is 1:87. 1" deep = 87", or 7' 3" of elevation. Then you have a half inch layer of cork roadbed on top. This makes it about 10' high in elevation. Nonetheless, it's perfect for South Florida's land profile. There are those ditches but the beauty of this scale is the ability to render them in such a size. The ditches are 5-6' at best so the 10' high elevation will allow some foam to remain. Even so I read that it is easy to cut to, so I am being blessed with this result for such simple research.

Legs. The leg height has not been determined entirely. Originally it was 4' high but I will not be able to work deep unless I use a stool. I will dive it to 3' in height. As far as legs go, I am thinking a very simple construction. Using numerous L-brackets and .5" screws, I intend to implement the L brackets on two of the sides so the leg does not tip flat under the board. This will also be removable. To get the legs I am picturing splitting a 2"x2"x8' board in three sections (the third, 2', can be kitbashed to form low shelves.). I'll probably be looking over these at Home Depot in a coming weekend but not right now.

To offset some of the expenditures, I want to bring into light how in 2009 I sought an FEC layout out of this and not a CSX layout. I have an Auto-Max auto carrier (BNSF livery) and an FEC Ortner that I haven't used. Since I want to maintain an intermodal train for whatever reason, including the use of such at train expos and the SFRM, I think I can save the Auto-Max from being sent off to the gallows of eBay. However, if I decide NOT to recoat my FEC Ortner to a CYXX Ortner (#4006), I will do some kitbashing and sell it as a custom item. This kitbashing includes weathering and graffiti as well as painting the wheels. But we will see as time progresses and when I venture to sell other items.

Already if you happen to be a LEGO fan there's an e-store with parts at wonderful prices, online, run by the family: South Florida Part Heaven

No comments:

Post a Comment