Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Jacksonville Blitz Photo Essay - Part I

The season finale for me due to a UM Open House seminar, I made the trek to Jacksonville with the gang on August 4. As I type, my friends are hanging out in Folkston getting a couple good ones as I watch the cam from the comfort of my house.

We started this awesome day with coal for FEC. This is another train scratched off the list: V189. Thanks to ETH for the heads up... This train headed east off of Jax Ramp to stop at West Jacksonville Yard and wait for further instructions to go to FEC.


Next up after topping off Paul's van we hit up Crawford for a morning reel of trains. All morning and day we were joined by a friendly area railfan. I didn't get his name but I *think* it was Charles. 

First was Q453, a photo exclusive. As I shot a similar looking train the night before (Q453-03) I didn't have any particular interest filming it.


Then NS pinged up 229's light and here it came. This is one of the hot trains for FEC. Also it is my first catch of an SD70M-2 on the Thoroughbred.


An eyesore on CSX but a little more unusual on NS, an ex Con C40-8W led 209, a much longer intermodal.


The Funnel did not let up. We would be finding our way to Callahan into the high noon and later Hilliard for the intermodals and manifests that had to be offered. Not to say coal didn't have a cameo this day.

A train I monitored on the Orlando Rail Log, N172 emerged empty from Stanton with the power turned. They ran the train around at West Jacksonville hence having 878 lead. 


After it was Q037, and with its speed this is all I could get... CR 115 sidewalk.


I got my first taste of Dyal Hill in time for Q613, a train which normally sports trademark Bone Valley power but had GE power this morning. I was focused on the video so this is all I got.


We finally made it to Hilliard for Q652, Q457, Q458, and T082. I focused on videoing the Jacksonville hauls so I only have three of them.





In following tradition we hit Hardee's at Callahan for lunch. This ends part I of the essay and I will follow up with Part II.

No comments:

Post a Comment