Monday, April 23, 2012

Folkston and Miami Trains

Excuse my very short, brief postings but time has been scarce. I am settling back in and ready to continue the HO layout.

Folkston, Georgia has 60 trains a day. Roaring through at speeds up to 50 mph, trains like intermodal, autoracks, coal drags, et al make Miami look very lackluster. Well, it's not.

I had spent "Railwatch Weekend" in the small town of about 10,000, enjoying a popular event called Railwatch. This is a more or less official gathering of railbuffs on a hit Saturday to watch trains. The roaring weekend brought  the town 58 trains that day (April 14th), 38 of which I caught and 3 of which were very remarkable but I had to miss. I had really enjoyed spotting trains and catching them like I photograph planes here in MIA, one good one every 20 minutes. The experience was indelible and "dabes" as you'll see in these videos that are channeling in to YouTube (I'll share the playlist while all 7 parts are uploaded). Add to that me bagging 11 more catches on Sunday.

Though, I felt refreshed instead of "Trained out" when I spent this past Friday night hunting Y220. Y220 is a yard job whose work varies. Usually it serves the greater Hialeah area but lately characteristically, it has started making headway for East Rail. East Rail is an industrial area at which Lance Mindheim has admired, by way of his website and once, his Webshots album. He did a spoof layout, combining it with the upper end of the Downtown Spur, hitting the nail on the head.

Sadly the district has lost some activity. SALCO, Seaboard Terminal, and Guixens have gone the way of being very sporadic customers. Luckily Weeks Gas, Sentry, Veco (a new one), and Pan American Paper are strong at it. I caught Y220 working the Big Hole lead (Veco as a matter of fact), spotting one or two boxcars and setting out two more on the waiting track. (The video below). It was a nice experience. Very bizarre anyway for being in this harsh area at night (though it was 8:50 PM and not past midnight) but it was a fun little chase. I also got it stopping for 37 AV to let its very close triggers function, and also at MLK Blvd. so the fireman boards the train. This is where it is, fellas. Miami Industrial action is extremely remarkable and if you're fairly lucky you'll make it through with success. I think this area in particular, Hialeah, has improved over the last decade and is a little bit of a safe bet to fan at night. I have previously conducted O721 chases as late as 1 am, and even made the trial of Y120 at 12:30 AM on a Friday night (no sign of it proved a failure).

Folkston is nice for mainline action. But if you want last mile boxcar action, Hialeah's got it. I am having the bug, not for catching 60 trains through Folkston but a number of switchers working E Rail, W Rail, Downtown, and Homestead. The switching consists of a number of moves and the area is just eccentric. Also I hear from Mr. Mindheim the Cuban Coffee at COD off of 58th St. and 37th Av. is just great.




No comments:

Post a Comment