Friday, December 30, 2011

BIG Model Railroading Tip

When planning your layout (long story on why it was delayed), never go with 180º Us. I made this mistake in the old plan and am reworking it. With my S-shape, I only have three lineal segments. I tried something different, using the allowable footprint. I made a lollipop design. Kinda like a swirl but it has five lineal segments. The more lineal segments, the less is wasted to your curve tracks. Also, by the minor warping, I may be able to incorporate a gradient on segment three that will allow the track to go below segment two.

With my new plan, I will be able to have a portion of South Dania, then on to Allsteel, City of Lauderdale, Cross Dock on an independent spur, Amerigas lead next to it (I may use the nearby curve to illustrate the spotting operation), then Fast-Dry, Bonsal, Boise, Home Depot, then Publix/Sun-Sentinel, then even Rankin. Lots of work. BrickAmerica, due to its incredibly low frequency, is being omitted from the layout.

No comments:

Post a Comment