Saturday, March 5, 2011

Homasote vs. Plywood: The Modeler's Debate

When making a layout you want to pick the table surface that best suits you.

I for one was hugging the plywood I had, so to say. I thought I could do with plywood, but the Miami Sub has ballast ridges, ditches, and other neat gizmos.

Hence I want to go with homasote.

Per say, there is nothing wrong with plywood, it's a very adhesive table and widely used. They best suit a flat layout though, say an industrial spur. Sure, you can terraform with clay, foam, or putty, but all that can be considerably extra.

Homasote is easy to cut and you can form rivers, terrain, and others. It is a consistent material and great for subtle terrain, however you still need the above or similar material to make a mountain or a steep ridge.

It's all at the discretion of the modeler. However, I have my money willing to be saved for homasote.

No comments:

Post a Comment